Saturday, January 1, 2011

Well, it's a happy new year, isn't it?

I'm not making any resolutions - I fail miserably at that - but small promises to myself. One of them includes adopting a healthier lifestyle.....Oh, I eat healthily. I'm not a big sweets eater and junk food is to a minimum. My problem is quantity. I just can't stop....being sick for a week with the stomach flu has given me an edge on that! What a great diet...I still can't look at food. Ginger ale, tea and some bits of bread are all I can manage.

So when I was falling asleep last night (or was that early this morning?) I was reflecting on what the people of 1911 would think of us, here at the cusp of 2011. You know, I was sort of assessing our lifestyle choices.
What would they think of our constant cell phone chatter - everywhere at anytime?
What would their thoughts be on how addicted we have become to our computers, our social networks, our email communication?
And how about instant food? From soups in a can to frozen mashed potatoes, when I see the array in the grocery store, it is hard to believe that anyone cooks from real, raw, healthy food anymore.

So here are some of my goals:
Turn my cell phone off when I am not working.
Write at least one letter a week to someone that would have received a quick email.
Give up all prepared food. (except Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee, of course.)
Carry no tales, share no gossip, speak not a word of ill will - even if it IS true - about anyone.
Be more spontaneous - say yes instead of a quick no to new adventures and offerings.
Renew my promise to work 37.5 hours a week and no more. (unless I get paid for it.)
Make one new friend a week, at least.
Swim every day.
Meditate.

I can't promise to keep these goals - but I do promise to try. If I fail, I'll start again, and that is part of this too - accepting my mistakes and forgiving myself for them so I can move on.

What about you?

2 comments:

Becky said...

Glad to see you posted today! I like your list for the new year. Sensible and I'm sure can be accomplished without too much difficulty. Too early to tell what I want for the new year. Looking forward to more posts! Happy New Year!!

Lili said...

This sounds strange, but I really cherish those reflective moments that I sometimes get right before I drift off to sleep. That can count for meditation, can't it? Yes just what would the folks of 1911 think of our crazy world now. I adore your list, I would like to say a lot of those items are on my own perpetual list for achieving too. Best wishes for your goals and I do love your writing and I hope we get to see many many more of your posts this year. ~Lili