Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring arrived in Washington County!

And what doesn't say spring more than a little lady with a bright bow, a lovely tutu and high tops. It doesn't get any better than this......unlessssssssss
we are talking about our "Celebrate the First Day of Spring while Kicking Winter Goodbye Right in the A..." party here at Sweet Pea Cabin and the rest of the hill on Saturday night. We had friends in for a bonfire and treats - unbelievable food. It was pot luck and I told everyone to bring their best appetizers. Well, they certainly did! We had pulled pork sliders, meatballs, hot wings, cheese fondue, at least three different kinds of MAJOR dips (cold and hot), antipasto, roasted veggies with a superb peanut sauce, a sandwich and wrap platter, the best oatmeal/raisin/walnut cookies we have ever eaten, and red velvet cupcakes.

Matt and Faye had a bonfire in their yard and we kept all the food in my kitchen so guests didn't disturb the sleeping Miss Kiley. It was a very eclectic group of guests - from a college president to teachers to artists to Coast Guard wives to retired deputy sheriffs to a fisherman to professional photographers .... very diverse. This made for fun conversation!

It was so wonderful to have a house full of friends again, even though these are NEW friends and some of them I hope will become better friends. We laughed and talked - a lot! The hole in my heart that I always seem to walk around with because I miss my OLD friends was filled a little bit. I truly felt at HOME and a part of the community. I can remember going to the grocery store a few months ago and coming home in tears because I didn't know anyone. Now, just a short time later, I can pack the house and that is a wonderful feeling.

I recognize that these new friends can NEVER replace or even match the 25-year friendships from central Maine. But that is okay, because they don't have to. These are my Down East friends: different, vibrant, intelligent and unique. It will take years for me to get to know some of these folks well but isn't that going to be a fun process? Learning about a new person - their experiences and activities that make them who they are. Like the woman I met cashiering at the grocery store who I discovered is working on her masters in special education. See what I mean? Surprises and little joys! This is all part of this new journey.

And after the wonderful time I had last night, this journey seems to be going really well!!!

Happy Spring to you all - may the sun be shining on you wherever you may be. May you peek outside and find crocus or daffodils or tulips or robins. May the length of the day inspire you to go for one more walk. And when the cool nights help you snuggle under your covers and dream, I hope your dreams make you smile in the moonlight.....

1 comment:

Lili said...

Awww I'm so glad you are feeling much more settled in. [It was so sad to read that you came home in tears because you didn't know anyone.] But doesn't that bonfire party sound fun . . . the red velvet cupcakes are what I am craving now, and some cheese fondue. Your Saturday evening sounded glorious and your little Kiley has a style unto her own...how precious! ~Lili