Saturday, October 11, 2008

I am feeling so proud of myself

today. I hiked the Bold Coast in Cutler! Although I took the short route - three miles versus 7.5 - it was perfect for me. The solitude, the peacefulness, the extraordinary beauty of the hike followed by the view of the Bold Coast, which I admit has to be one of the most gorgeous sights I have ever seen, slowed me down and forced me to think about A LOT.....The woods were spectacular. Tiny yellow leaves floated down in a welcome while peppy squirrels urged me on with their chatter. Lots of birds, whose names I wish I knew, called to me and the smell was so thick, so pungent, almost a sweet, candy smell. In places the trail was harsh and it was good to be challenged. In other places it was easy, a stroll through carpets of moss that were such a vibrant green that it tricked me into thinking winter wasn't around the corner. Suddenly I noticed that the light was no longer just filtered down through what leaves were left on the trees but was also coming from in front of me: THE OCEAN!!! Bold Coast views are beyond breathtaking. They make you want to cry for the beauty that surrounds us. I was a bit scared up there on those peaks but savored my accomplishment and sat for while, just contemplating. I couldn't keep the smile off my face on the return hike. At one point a large breeze blew through the woods and I lifted my arms and tipped my head back to catch the cooling air. I felt like flying, I was so proud of myself. I did it. My first hike. I didn't think I was capable but I was. Just think: I am 60 years and 2 months old and I did it: I embarked upon a physical life. Nothing can stop me now....I think I'll hike Roque Bluffs this afternoon.

No comments: