Monday, October 20, 2008

This is it, the last few moments of my last vacation of the year...

Machias is feeling more and more like my true home and so, of course, I am filled with sadness as I make the last few preparations - making sure the woodstove is out, the garbage is removed, the lights have all been turned off and the thermostats are at minimal settings. As if to tease me, Otto the Buck came out into the backyards today, standing there munching on the apples Faye put there, showing me his glorious self one last time. He only raised his head briefly when Matt came out to start his car. He is beautiful and my spirit is relieved that he has so far survived hunting season. If I see him this winter it will truly be a time for celebration, knowing that he made it through. I wonder if any of the does will be missing...

As I sit here on my little makeshift desk in my studio, there is brilliant sunshine outside the window and enough of a breeze to lift the leaves and send them twirling and skittering down. Even the evergreens are raining pine needles. The crow, Mr. Meyers with the strangled voice, is sitting up high in one of the maples but his call is quiet today, maybe because he has been feeding so well on my offerings. The crows have scarfed up the apple bits and the stale Kix cereal but have left the carrot pieces alone. A junko, all by herself today, also visited this morning, scratching through the Kix on the well cover to find the seeds I put underneath. The chickadees continue their race to the feeders - flying drunkenly from the Beauty Bush to the feeders, quickly grabbing a seed and then rushing back to the safety of the bush's branches. They are in such a hurry and don't even mind Emma, who sits on the back of the couch ignoring them. I think she has figured out that they are outside, she is in. She still gets mightily excited, though, when a sea gull appears. Ah, she almost says, a bigger threat!
Well, I'm putting it off - I must leave. I can take solace in that the leaves are still brilliant and the ride home will be pleasant...

No comments: