Friday, April 3, 2009

Last night was a blubberfest.

Seriously, we saw "Marley and Me" for movie night.
Now, I have to tell you that I thought we were going to view a comedy. That's what all the commercials seemed to portray, with dogs running willy nilly and puppies getting into mischief.
That's what all the other Movie Night women thought too.

WRONG!

If you see it at your house - get out the tissues.
We went through a full roll of toilet paper, passing it around the room.
Everyone EVERYONE was blubbering. Hazel blew her nose so loudly we couldn't hear the dialogue! Jean rushed out of here like her pants were on fire because she said she had to get home to hug her own doggies... My own dog, Miss Emma, was so disconcerted by all the crying women that she actually left the room...
The movie is a beautifully told story of marriage and dreams and goals. It takes a couple from their wedding day to mid-life and how they struggle with their ideals and egos along the way. The only constant in the movie is Marley, a very naughty yellow lab.

There is no gratuitous violence. No raunchy sex. No swearing. No guns, espionage or terrorism.
It is a sweetly told, real story.
That makes you cry like a banshee at the end. And then for hours afterward. And even the next morning at breakfast. Except for Hazel, who said that after going outside and picking up a plastic bag full of poopies from her three dogs, she was definitely over it!

6 comments:

Libby's Library said...

I thought that I really wanted to see this movie, but now I'm not too sure. After watching Australia a few days ago...I don't know if I'm up to another tear jerker!

Have a great weekend my Queenie.

Gladys said...

Kahuna and I went to see it in the theater and we had to sit a little while after the movie ended to collect ourselves. I called our girls as soon as we left the theater and told them to hug our two goons for us. Beautiful movie.

Anonymous said...

i have heard this movie comes with a teary warning. i would like to see it though... maybe on one of those days where a good cry is in order! :)

thank you for your sweet comment yesterday... it was very sweet and touching.

have a great weekend

Lisa said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did read the book. Wah~Freaking~Wah.

Smiles,
Lisa

Becky said...

My daughter is reading the book right now. I don't think I can watch that movie at the moment as my little chihuahua is not doing very well. I have cried for 2 weeks. Have a good weekend!

Tatersmama said...

I want to see this movie! I've heard nothing but rave reviews for it, but nice as those reviews/ reviewers are, it's always better hearing it from a friend!
(I've got a whole pantry fiull of Kleenex, so I'll be sure to bring out a couple of boxes!)