Sunday, May 31, 2009

Remember the bra project?


Well, here is the first submission!!!! It's called Twin Peaks and has little clay lemmings on the front, straps and inside. Sorry, the flash washed out the rich colors...

Hazel Mitchell, a book illustrator and a dear friend, created it! She sewed wire in the bra and along its edges to keep its shape and then applied four layers of Plaster of Paris. She sanded it, created the little lemmings and then painted it. She wrote an inspirational little note that is attached.

For those of you who don't know, 42 women are creating bra art projects for an auction to benefit breast cancer. They are being made of glass, steel, beads, quilted, floral, etc., etc. We have a retired fashion photographer who has volunteered to photograph them and we will soon have a website.

The auction is not until the first week in August - but we need plenty of time for publicity. I really am excited about this project and I have to admit, it was pretty emotional to see the first bra. This is real - dozens of wonderful creations are under way!! When I first started the project and put out a call for entries, I was hoping for about 20. I figured at $20 each, we could send in about $400.....Now, my goal is way higher. Some of the bras should be exhibited in galleries - they are that special. Every one of them represents the sincere efforts of someone that cares. We have 42 entries coming from Connecticut, Florida, Maine...I am amazed.

I can't wait to see everyone else's efforts to save the ta tas! I'll keep you posted with pictures as they continue to arrive!

4 comments:

Lili said...

This is wonderful!! Can't wait to see in person when we finally get to connect!

Libby's Library said...

Look'n forward to seeing all of them!

I could still kick myself in the patootie for not being able to do one of these this year...but I have an idea for next year, if you do it again. I want to call my bra..."Check Out These Puppies". Now I just have to figure out how to replicate George and Gracie!

Dawn Fortune said...

The BRA PROJECT!!! OF COURSE I REMEMEBR!!! RIGHT. WLEDED STEEL. BRA. RIGHT. I'M ALL OVER IT. GOT IT. BEEN WORKING FOR WEEKS NOW. Ummm. Yeah. July 1 was my deadline? right? Please say right...

Becky said...

That bra is great! Can't wait to see all the others. Thanks, Queenie!