Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I have no pictures of the boob bowls.....but....

Check out this art bowl - vanilla glass, shot through with holes the way the sea erodes the shells...so organic....AND I MADE IT!
Here is a closeup...
The boob bowls didn't get made - my idea and the artist's idea weren't exactly the same so she worked on her special project and I made two new ones for gifts. Next time, I will make the boob bowl I had in mind....sort of a frosted glass, white or clear frosted, with a blob in the bottom for the nipple. I promise I'll show you!!

My two projects last night were a rectangular plate with a black and white striped edge and two fanciful chickens on a translucent green background. The second project was an experiment. I constructed it the same way I did the vanilla art bowl above but used translucent glass strips and bits. It's very tricky - you don't just lay scraps down, but rather must be carefully put together like a puzzle. Every bit of glass must be touching another bit and you can go three layers high. You want the holes to accent, not take over and that's tricky too. Then the whole piece is kiln-melted flat and then put in the kiln again to be slumped over a bowl mold. The vanilla one was sandblasted to give it a matte finish but I don't think I'm going to do that with the new one - I'll have to wait until it comes out of the kiln to see. It's always a surprise and so exciting!

I am so busy today and all I want to do is play with glass! I'm also sewing a dolly for Kiley for her birthday. I made her six little summer dresses (pics will come tomorrow) and matching headbands. I had some fabric left over so I'm making dolly dresses - really simple little shifts. This is her first doll! And I can't wait to give it to her.

Why o why does work always have to get in the way of fun? I had a veggie conference this a.m., a festival meeting this evening and then a night meeting with the federal EPA regarding a SuperFund site.....I'd much rather cut glass and sew dolly dresses!

7 comments:

Libby's Library said...

You exhaust me! But reading about your sewing makes me want to get out my machine, and put something together.
Have a great day my regal one!

Lili said...

OMGosh! I love that bowl...it has a wonderful nest shape to it. I can't wait to see the summer dresses and the Boob Bowls...you are making my head spin with your wonderful energy!

Gladys said...

I am in awe! Complete and total awe. I feel like such a slackass. Oh wait I am!

Tatersmama said...

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed that there was no boob bowl... but when I saw this one, the breath was sucked right out of me!
This is absolutely gorgeous!!!
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS and breathtaking !

Kathleen said...

You are one busy woman. I got tired just reading your blog LOL. Are you in Northen or Southern Maine? NIce to meet you! Hugs, Kathleen

Carrie - Pink Crow said...

Yes, I LOVE this bowl! Love the ivory look of it and actually love the matte finish from the sandblasting...I would SO have this in my home (and I'm very VERY picky).

Maggie said...

I have this college art project where we have to make a bowl, the bowls are then donated to a charity to be auctioned off. If you could comment back with more details on how to make that beautiful vanilla glass bowl i would really appreciate it!!