I have admired her honesty in her writing for such a long time (both as a lurker and a de-lurker) and so this is very meaningful to me! Thanks Lib, I am touched and honored!
But awards come with rules! (Don't you know yet how much I hate rules?)
The rules for the Honest Scrap award:
The honorees are to:
A) first list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep!
B) pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.
Here goes (and I'm not sure my children even know some of these things):
1. I have four tattoos. Isn't giving me a bath in the nursing home going to be interesting??
2. My first real job was tending the aquariums in a W.T. Grant Store in Windsor Locks, Ct. I was fired.
I have also:
Driven a garbage truck.
Sold baby clothes for Sage and Allen.
Been a waitress at Friendly Ice Cream, Wurdig's Restaurant and Tony's Pizzaria.
Taught second grade.
Managed a slaughterhouse.
Typed in a typing pool (in the days when we still typed on typewriters.)
Catered stag parties with my first and dearest mother in law.
Operated a day care.
3. I named my first son David after David Draghi who went to my high school and looked absolutely GORGEOUS in oxford cloth, button-down collar shirts. He didn't know I was alive.
4. I've skinny dipped in approximately seven bodies of water (not counting swimming pools) in four different states.
5. I was once so busy at work that I rushed home to serve my two children, Daniel and Faye, who were both born on Feb. 2, two Hostess chocolate cupcakes with candles stuck in them, before rushing back to work. I have never forgiven myself.
6. I once chased a herd of teenage boys out of a tent occupied by teenage girls who were having a sleep over in my hay field. They all hated me for that.
7. I have gone to Washington D.C. to picket BOTH the Vietnam War and the Iraq War. In a related incident, I was arrested for chaining myself to the capital steps in Hartford, CT., and thrown in a real "paddy wagon" and my father, a proud member of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Forty-and-Eight, refused to bail me out of jail. I was ecstatic but somehow lost my shoes and had to wear paper booties to court.
8. I was once kicked in the face by a man.
9. I was also tied to tree in my front yard when I was 12 by my brother when my parents went to a wedding. I was there so long I peed my pajama bottoms. I retaliated by whacking him on the head with a metal pot holder loom.
10. I have hosted 38 exchange students from all over the world - Saudi Arabia, Egypt, France, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Korea, Vietnam....they remain in a secret place in my heart forever.
There - I'm sure many of you know far more about me now than you ever wanted to...
And here is who I pass the Honest Scrap Award to:
Weldable cookies - who challenges me every day with her honesty.
Gladys Tells All - who looks the truth in the face and laughs at it.
Bluebirdbaby - whose softness and gentleness makes the truth run away, scared for itself.
a la mode - who has a direct and funny way of getting to the truth.
Chatting at the sky - who although she is from the land down under, is tops with me.
Alright ladies - let's read your 10 honest truths!